Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fajita Burgers


As soon as I saw these things on goodLife {eats} I was hit by an instant craving.

I had to have them.  Like, five minutes ago.
Of course, the night we were planning to make them, we got out of church late, so we couldn't.

(...just for clarification's sake, we go to an evening church service...it didn't start in the morning and go on till all hours of the afternoon.)

So I had to stave off my crazy craving for another few days.

Burger craving satiated.  Yes.

Now, quick disclaimer: I'm not the world's biggest fan of bell peppers.  I make myself eat them because I know they're good for me, and I can tolerate the taste.
So, for a burger topped with tons of peppers, it was really good!  The spiced meat mix had phenomenal flavor.  Next time I make them (because I will make them again) I'll add lettuce and salsa to the top of the burger.  Because I forgot this time.
Rough days at work make me forget to add tasty things.  They make me forget a lot of things, actually.
Sour cream and guacamole would be pretty fab on these too.

PS: Does anyone have tips for staving off child-related headaches and exhaustion?  Teaching five-year-olds this week has given me wicked cases of both...

UPDATE: These are officially guy approved!  Jon and his roommate loved them!

Fajita Burgers
Source: adapted from goodLife {eats}

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup salsa
1 tsp Worcestershire
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 slices pepper jack cheese
1 medium sweet onion, sliced into thin strips
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1-1/2 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green), sliced into thin strips
Optional: guacamole, sour cream, additional salsa, lettuce for topping

Directions:
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the beef, salsa, Worcestershire, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Using your hands or a wooden spoon (if you're like me and would really rather not get ground beef and hot chili powder under your fingernails), mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.  Divide the mixture into four equal portions and make them into patties about 1/4 inch thick.  Set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare the onions, peppers, and mushrooms.  Heat a medium saute or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.  Add 1/2-1 tbsp canola oil.  Add the vegetables and allow to cook until they start to brown, then stir every minute or so for 5-7 minutes total, or until your desired level of tenderness is reached.
Heat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.  Cook the burgers 2-3 minutes per side, or until your desired done-ness is reached.  Melt the sliced pepper jack cheese over the burgers.  Serve on toasted buns with the onions, peppers, and mushrooms, and any other desired toppings.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment